September 8, 2008

I Know What You're Thinking

You're thinking I've been slacking off, aren't you? You're thinking that my lack of posting must be due to the fact that I'm laying on the couch, eating bon-bons, and watching soaps all day. Well, while I wish all that was true, it's not. The truth is I've been insanely busy because...We've Moved. Officially Moved. And, man, we've been busy. So, where do I start?

We came down to Roanoke on August 24th to get ready for the first day of school. The in-laws were gracious enough to put us up for a few days until our lease started. The upside for them? They got to see Olivia off on her first day of kindergarten - August 25th.

Heading to the bus stop.

I didn't cry when she got on the bus, holding hands with Noah but Jeremy and I were both a little choked up. No more babies in the house :(

Another bright spot to the 25th was that I got to have dinner with Heather in Staunton. We hadn't seen each other in about 8 years and it's one of those friendships that I always wonder why I didn't stay in touch. It was great seeing her and I was very sad when it was time to head back to Roanoke. This time I'm determined not to let her go (Sorry, Howdy, you're stuck with me!)
My proof that we actually were in the same place at the same time!!

The 26th was my birthday - number 33 to be exact. We went out to dinner and then back to the in-laws home for pie and gifts.

Thursday the 28th, I went to pick up our keys to the apartment. It was empty and quiet. All we brought with us for this first night was 2 air mattresses, sleeping bags, and...um...the computer :)
Proof that I may have a small obsession with the internet.
We headed back to C'ville for the weekend to pack up everything we'd need before the movers came and that is when the good times began...Olivia decided to come down with a nasty stomach virus and Jeremy thought it would be fun to try out a head cold. But we persevered and the kids and I went back to Roanoke on September 1st to live on the floor for just a few more days. On Thursday the 4th, the movers brought all of our stuff. And, believe me, it's a lot of stuff. My poor empty apartment became a warehouse for cardboard boxes and packing paper. And this room had the least amount of furniture and boxes in it, believe it or not.

I've been slowly unpacking because now I've decided the head cold is a good idea and the week has been rougher and busier than any of us could have predicted. On the plus side the kids are enjoying the new school. Noah has restarted his piano lessons and Olivia has started gymnastics. They are both taking taekwando twice a week. Unpacking boxes that someone else has packed is almost like Christmas - you never know what's in each box, carefully wrapped in packing paper. (Wow, those movers are thorough...they wrapped my paper plates! Good times!) The downside is that everyone except Noah has been sick, sick, sick. My car decided it wanted some attention of its own and cost me an unexpected $500 and the worst part is that I was cat sitting for my brother in law's kitty when it was decided that she was too sick to carry on. We had to take her to the vet and listen to the diagnosis and be there as she was put to sleep...an unexpected lesson in loss for the kids.

But we're here now, together, and trying to figure out how to live as a family again. The boxes will be gone soon and the schedules will get ironed out. Maybe I'll look for a job if something interesting pops up. I'm just glad to get things moving in the right direction. We appreciate everyone's thoughts and prayers and good wishes as we've headed south and hope you'll keep us in mind as we try to sell the C'ville home.

I'll try not to let the blog go so long without posting next time. And, in a week or so, once all the boxes are gone, we'll be ready for some visitors so don't be shy!

No comments: