May 28, 2009

"Some Will Win, Some Will Lose, Some Were Born To Sing The Blues"

Last night the elementary school held their last school dance of this school year. Noah and Olivia decided they had to go because they always have such a great time at these dances. The DJ is pretty great and the kids get to mingle with all their friends in a way that they normally don't get to during regular school hours. Jeremy was out of town for work so I figured it was a way for me to get an hour and a half to myself. Admission was 50 cents for each kid? Sold!

I walked them into the school, handed them some money for snacks and photos and admission and turned around to leave, planning on grabbing some dinner and maybe reading a bit before picking them up at 8:00. I got to my car, pulled on the handle and realized that when Olivia had gotten out of the driver's side door she had locked all four doors! No, no, no, no!! There were my keys and cellphone staring at me. I don't know anyone's phone number in Athens off the top of my head and Jeremy was in the middle of West Virginia. I ran back inside and begged a phone from a complete stranger and called my mother-in-law asking her to call AAA for me (thankfully, my membership was a gift to me from her so I knew she'd have all my info). It was hot and humid outside but it wasn't raining. The ground was wet from earlier storms so there was no place to sit. I alternated between strolling the sidewalks and ducking into the dance to watch the kids. I fended off scary guys asking if I wanted to "sit in [their] van?"...uh...no thanks. I answered questions from old ladies and I waited. After about an hour the tow truck driver showed up and 30 seconds later my door was unlocked. I only had a half hour left until the dance ended and with a 15 minute drive ahead of me, there was no point in going home. I shrugged it off and decided to head back inside.

Girls were crowded around my boy while he danced and laughed and chatted. Olivia was dancing and jumping up and down and I was really enjoying watching them. Three moms that I've met this school year were there and we tried to shout at each other over the music making conversation difficult but amusing. "What?!?!, What?!?!" The kids on the gym floor ranged from preschool to sixth grade and it was interesting to see how excited they got about certain songs. No one slow danced...not one kid. Everyone participated in the air guitar contest and tried to figure out Miley Cyrus' "Hoedown Throwdown." There was shouting and running and twisting and twirling, whispering in corners and new relationships made (yes, N, I'm talking about you...). But my very favorite part of the evening came with the last song. The DJ asked all the sixth graders to raise their hands and had everyone applaud them. This was their last elementary school dance. The music started playing and I was shocked to hear the opening of Journey's "Don't Stop Believin'." But I was surprised even more when the 50 or so sixth graders formed a huge circle, arms around each other, starting swaying and singing along to every word. Was this 2009? How do these 11 and 12 year olds all know the words to this song? It was the coolest thing...like some cheesy, unbelievable musical. They sang loudly, they smiled at each other and suddenly I was taken back to elementary school...thinking I was so grown up, thinking that everyone would always be friends, thinking that life couldn't get any sweeter. In that last moment I was right...I was on the line between innocence and adulthood. I'd never had my heart broken, I'd never had a sleepless night, I'd never worried about money or the future. Everything was the way it should be. I realized I was grinning like a fool watching these kids and I wanted to sing along with them. But it was their moment not mine and so I stood quietly by the wall, just watching. I'm just happy my bad luck night allowed me to catch a glimpse of them, shining and perfect for a time.

No comments: